How to Hire a DevOps Engineer in 2022: Ultimate Guide of What You Need to Know
An experienced DevOps is an IT specialist who can help change the whole company, especially when the project is shipped or the company has a development team.
Companies need DevOps specialists because they can automate the application development process. This helps the company to stay competitive in the market and have good application protection.
DevOps engineers prepare the environment to run applications and understand how to configure firewalls and protect the application. These specialists communicate with all the people involved in the development of the software to find out how to make the application faster and more reliable.
DevOps Engineer Skills Overview
DevOps engineers, regardless of the project, should have the following skills:
DevOps Technical Skills
- Computer science fundamentals: networking, databases, and distributed systems.
- Strong knowledge of programming languages: Python, Ruby, or Go.
- Knowledge of logging, monitoring, and alerting systems and tools.
- Experience with container orchestration systems such as Kubernetes.
DevOps Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Ability to clearly communicate with developers and non-technical employees.
- Ability to discuss with engineers issues and come to solutions about the development process and security problems.
- Experience with mentoring development team for DevOps best practices.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a DevOps Engineer
We’ve gathered information about average salaries for DevOps engineers on Glassdoor. The platform took into account the earnings of engineers with different degrees of qualification, which means that actual salaries may vary depending on the company and developer skills.
United States — $135,000
Canada — $93,000
Mexico — $87,000
Brazil — $52,000
United Kingdom — $89,000
Germany — $87,000
Romania — $45,000
Ukraine — $55,000
China — $72,000
India — $26,000
Australia — $86,000
With a shortage of DevOps engineers in the United States, companies are finding other ways to hire contractors from offshore countries. Software development companies from Ukraine or Brazil often charge less than American companies.
Argentina — $56
Brazil — $51
Uruguay — $56
Ukraine — $48
Where to Find and Hire DevOps Engineers?
Depending on your needs, we can recommend you a list of groups, companies, and communities. You can use these links to find the best-matching candidates for your development process.
- If you consider hiring remote contractors, you can hire DevOps engineers at YouTeam
- Search for profiles or post a job on Upwork
- Search profiles on Hubstaff Talent
In-house Hiring: Job-boards
Communities and Groups
- DevOps Slack community
- DevOps groups on Meetup
- AWS and DevOps Learning Community on Facebook
- DevOps Stack Exchange
In summary, DevOps engineers are those people who can help the company develop, but it happens that it is very difficult for recruiters to find highly qualified employees. If you want to know more about how to find competent employees, you can read more on our blog.